Thursday, November 8, 2007

Resources for the Non-RWA Newbie Part 3

I think I've just about exhausted my advice in parts 1 and 2 so I'm going to keep part 3 short. I left off in Part 2 of Resources for the Non-RWA Newbie (see post below) by suggesting you join as many writers groups as you can, visit each and every writing website you can and read lots and lots of blogs... and keep up with them! Keep your eyes peeled and your ears open. That's the best advice I can give. Knowledge is power and where there's a will, there's a way, I always say. :)

Below I've listed some of my favorite resources. I'm not going to post the links to all of them because it's just too time consuming, but I will add to it from time to time, so please check back often. For additional resources check out my favorite blogs and links on the sidebar of this page. If you find a site you're interested in visiting and the link isn't on my sidebar or listed below, do a google search. 99% of the writing eloops and groups that I have listed are hosted on Yahoogroups. You can do a search for any of the groups right from the Yahoo Groups home page. If you do the above, you shouldn't have a problem finding any of these resources on google or yahoo groups, but if you do, just leave me a comment and I'll be glad to point you in the right direction. And, if you know of any resources that I haven't mentioned or that you think might be of interest to me or if this post has helped you in any way, please leave a comment and let me know. I'd love to hear from you (plus, I'm working on my writing karma and I'd like to know how that's coming along). :) Again, I'll be adding links and resources as time allows, so check back often. Happy writing! Contests (These are all free or, at the very least all they ask for is a donation)
  • Chase the Dream Contest
  • First Line Contest
  • Gather First Chapter Romance Writing Competition
  • American Title
  • 2007 Brava Novella Contest
  • Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest
  • Wild Rose Press Through the Gate Contest
Resources in General - these include magazines, forums, critique groups, etc.
Newsletters NOTE: A lot of newsletters offer free ebooks when you subscribe. FundsForWriters especially.
Writers eLists, eGroups and eCourses (HINT: Look in the file section of these groups and lists. Many keep handouts and archive classes and courses there). EroticRomanceWorkshop - This is not just for erotic romance writers. Since I joined a couple of months ago, they've offered courses on POV, 1st Person POV, Plotting, Description, Idea to Outline, Query Letters, the Tortured Hero and more. This is a GREAT resource.
  • MotivatedWritersLife
  • WritersWorkshop
  • FinishTheDarnBook-writers support group
  • RW-C - Charlotte Dillon's group. Also, check out her romance writers resource website. This is a great starting point, one that helped me in the beginning (and still does). Charlotte also offers a critique group.
  • JoAnnRoss
  • romancelivesforever
  • LoveRomancesCafe
  • Carmel's Group
  • Western Romance Writers - also offers Western Romance Wrtiter's critique group
  • WritersResourceCentral
  • Marketing for Romance Writers - also offers free courses
  • Samhain Cafe
  • Wester Romance Writers - and critique group, too
  • World Romance Writers
  • Writers Resource Central
  • Contest Alert
  • Earthly Charms
  • Edit Tips
  • WRW - World Romance Writers
  • Romance Contests
Blogs (HINT: Once you visit a favorite blog, check their favorite blogs and links. This is how I found a lot of my favorites. For more of my favorite blogs, check my sidebar.
  • Bookends, LLC - right now Bookends agent Jessica Faust is offering a FREE Pitch critique.
  • The Knight Agency
  • The Rejecter
  • Single Titles
  • Miss. Snark
  • Lit Agent X
  • Writer Beware!
  • Cruse'n With Lonnie
Note: I don't consider Cruse'n With Lonnie a writers resource per se, but I listed it anyway because every time I stop there, I'm glad I did. Her blog is a refreshing break from the usual research, learn and read, read, read routine. Her posts are fast paced and humorous and I actually feel refreshed after my visit. We all need a break every once in a while. :) Lonnie writes the Metropolis Mystery series set in the real city of Metropolis, Illinois. And the new '57 Chevy series featuring Kitty and Jack Bloodworth and Sadie, their fully-restored, trophy winning 1957 Chevy Keep in mind that there are tons more resources available. This list is meant as a starting point. Again, check out the links on the sidebar and check out the links on every blog, website, MySpace Page, Facebook, Shelfari or wherever you visit. You'll be surprised at the treasures you'll find. I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors ~Carol

No comments: