Saturday, July 21, 2007

Getting Serious

OK...it's been a couple of years since I worked on my writing. I came down ill and just wasn't up to it. Now I'm ready to get back at it. Actually, where my wip is concerned, it was good that I let it sit for those past two years, because I can actually look at my work with a fresh eye.
Not bad, I thought. However, I realized that I needed to do some major revising. Now, I've always had a problem staying focused on just one task at a time. Either, I would begin to work in my character profile, or outline, or scene and sequel or synopsis. I really needed to stay focused and work on one aspect of my writing at a time. And, I noticed, I really needed to get organized.
I'd bought Karen Weisner's FIRST DRAFT IN 30 DAYS a few years ago, and never got the chance to read through it. I took it off my bookshelf and looked it over. It looked like it was just what I needed. It taught you to focus on one task at a time, it got you organized. I decided I'd give it a try.
That's what I'm doing now. I'm using the book to stay focused and get organized. I've read many different reviews on this guide. It seemed the reviewers either really liked the book, or they dissed it. Now, I haven't even begun to scratch the surface with it, however, I feel it's just what I need.
So, what I'd like to know, is, have any of you used this writing guide? And if so, what was your opinion of it. Did it help you, or could you have done just as good without it?
I welcome any comments or suggestions.

No comments: