Saturday, July 21, 2007

What Inspires You?

I'm always up to learning and trying new things. Especially when it comes to writing. I've tried lots of things to help along the way. Music, movies, books, etc., as I'm sure all of you have done as well. Sometimes they work to inspire me, and sometimes they don't. I'll listen to music that pumps me up. Depending on my mood, this usually works. I just can't listen to any music that was popular during the worst years of my life, though, because I just get too sad. Hm mm...I guess I should listen to that music when I'm writing a scene that is supposed to be sad. OK, scratch that thought. I'll read my favorite all time romances, which usually always inspire me to write. Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers. Or a Kathleen Woodiweiss novel. Or Judith McNaughts Kingdom of Dreams. These are the first romances I read, back in the 70's. I 've read them a hundred times in the past, and I'll probably read them a hundred more times in the future. I'll watch my favorite movies. Braveheart with Mel Gibson, Lonesome Dove with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall. Or The Outlaw Josey Wales or Two Mules or Sister Sarah with Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine. The last one is always a good movie for me to watch because it takes place during the 1860's Juarez led rebellion against the French invasion and French imperial rule in Mexico. Since I'm writing a western romance set during this exact time period, this movie never fails to inspire me. Recently, a new inspirational tool has come to my attention. Brain Wave Therapy. They're self help programs by Kelly Howell that are supposed to help you quit smoking, lose weight or sharpen your focus and creativity. You buy a CD and listen to it with a portable CD player and earphones. Below is a paragraph from their catalog:
"In these pages you'll find many ways to achieve your goals and make the breakthrough you want. With our clinically-proven audio technology you can reach states of inner balance that will contribute to an ever increasing sense of well-being in your life, helping you to expand, heal and grow. Thousands of individuals have taken the time to share their remarkable success stories. And as you'll see inside, many brain researchers and medical professionals add their praise."

I've heard that this really does work, so I gave it a shot. There are many different programs to choose from and they all sound good. Some are subliminal and some aren't. I had a hard time deciding which one to buy first.

The first program I bought is called HIGH FOCUS. I listen to it first thing in the morning, while on the treadmill or when I first get online and I'm reading my emails. It does seem to pump you up, and I have found that I am writing more. They say that athletes listen to this program before the big game. I can see why. For me, it pumps me up too much and I tend to feel a little nervous. Like drinking too much coffee. I can't drink more that two or three cups in the morning or I feel this way. That aside, I have noticed an increase with my writing and other creative things I do. I do like this program and will probably continue to use it in the future.

The second program I bought is entitled INCREASE CREATIVITY. Now this CD is more to my liking. It's more relaxing and I feel much more calm after listening to it. You're supposed to listen to it laying down, or in a recliner or somewhere where you can relax and not have to worry if you get drowsy. They say not to listen to this CD if you are going to be doing something physical or driving. And, as with the other program, I can see why. When I listen to it, I do get relaxed. And, again, as with the other one, I have noticed an increase with my creativity. I've been writing more. I even started this blog. :) I don't know if this really works or if it's just mind over matter. However, I like it and it works for me so I'll continue to use it until it doesn't. The next program I intend to buy is the smoking and weight loss subliminal CD.

Hey, if it works...

You can take a look for yourself here, at the brain Sync website. If you decide to go this route let me know how it works for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is really interesting, and i love how its set up, its cute! =)

Carol Burge said...

Thanks, Sarah!