Here's an AWESOME contest for those of you who are UNPUBLISHED and have a COMPLETED manuscript(s). On November 30th, Historical Romance Author Beverly Kendall will host a pitch contest on The Season blog. Judging will be by Beverly's own editor and agent, Peter Senftleben at Kensington and Kevan Lyon of Marsal Lyon Lit Agency.
THE SEASON PITCH CONTEST rules are as follows (snipped from the site):
1. Accepting only pitches for novel length manuscripts that are complete. And I mean complete as in polished and ready to go within a week of any possible requests.
2. The winner or winners will receive a critique of the first 25 pages of your manuscript. If Kevan and Peter pick the same manuscript as the winner, then the winner will receive a critique from both.
3. The pitches will be posted on this blog (on The Season Blog NOT here on RWW) in the comment section on November 30th. Posting will be open at 7:00 am (for active forum members, it will open 6:00 am). The max number of pitches being accepted is 200 or 6:00 pm, which ever comes first.
4. The top 10 pitches will be chosen by both Kevan and Peter. The finalists will be asked to furnish the first 3 pages of their manuscript and proof that the manuscript is complete. There is no wiggle room here. The manuscript MUST BE COMPLETE. If you cannot furnish proof of a complete novel length manuscript, you will be disqualified.
5. The pitch cannot be more than 150 words in length. Again, there will be no wiggle room on this word count. Your pitch will be disqualified if it goes over.
6. Only one pitch per person. If it’s discovered that you entered two using different names, you will be automatically disqualified. The only exception is that if we are shy of 100 entries by 6:00 pm, you will be eligible to post another pitch until 100 pitches is met.
7. The winner will be asked to furnish the first 25 pages of their manuscipt or 5000 words, whichever comes first. Please end at the end of a chapter. There is some wiggle room in page and word count in order to achieve this.
8. I’ve linked Peter and Kevan’s name to their respective websites where they list the genres they are accepting. Please check to make sure they are acquiring your genre or sub-genre.
9. This contest is for unpublished authors and by unpublished I mean has never been published by a traditional print publisher. If you have been published by an e-publisher and your book has a print edition, you are still eligible to enter.
10. The finalists will be notified the week of November 30th. The winner will be announced December 7th.
If you have any additional questions regarding this contest, you can either leave a comment on the blog post, or email Bev at historicals at historicalromancereleases.com.
See the blog for rules and guidelines.
The Season Blog
Marsal Lyon Literary Agency
Peter Senftleben, Kensington Assistant Editor