Saturday, December 29, 2007

Wrter or Author?

“A writer is someone who finishes.” -- Thomas Farber
Writer
  • One who writes, or has written; a scribe; a clerk.
  • One who is engaged in literary composition as a profession; an author; as, a writer of novels.
  • A clerk of a certain rank in the service of the late East India Company, who, after serving a certain number of years, became a factor.

Author

  • The beginner, former, or first mover of anything; hence, the efficient cause of a thing; a creator; an originator.
  • One who composes or writes a book; a composer, as distinguished from an editor, translator, or compiler.
  • The editor of a periodical.
  • An informant.
  • To occasion; to originate.
  • To tell; to say; to declare.

Writer or Author. Which is the correct title if you're unpublished?

There's a post at The Writing Life that's similar to this one, with a few links to other blogs on the subject. The more I read what other writer's thought and felt about this, the more I realized I wasn't alone.

I read somewhere that the term "Writer" is described as - one who writes, especially as a business or occupation (author, journalist, etc.) and the term "Author" is described as - one who makes or originates something; creator. The writer of a book, article, etc. For some reason, I feel uncomfortable calling myself an author. In my mind, I won't earn that title until I'm published. Until then, I'm a writer.

The term "author" to me, refers to someone who has a written a book (or article or whatever) that you are able to purchase, either online or at a brick and mortar store. It has a cover, an ISBN number and a Publisher. The lucky ones who've had the good fortune to accomplish this, IMO, are authors. Until you're published, you're a writer. Right...?

Happy Holidays!

No comments: