Monday, August 13, 2007

A Challenge!

OK, I'm at it again. I found a writer's list that offers free writing classes and one of the "classes" is called Fast Draft. It's run by romance author, Candy Havens and she offers it for free.
The Fast Draft course is sort of similar to the Survivor Writer's list run by Donna Caubarreaux. The class, or challenge, runs just so long and during that time you have to just write. You decide on how many pages a day you will try to write and you make that your goal then you post to the list daily what you've accomplished. There's no looking back at what you write (something I'm famous for) you must turn off your internal editor (I know, easier said than done)...and just do it! I've accomplished a lot of my writing in the past this way. I found Donna's course about three or four years ago (maybe it was longer, I can't remember), and participated in her challenge with great success.
When I was out of the writing cyber community for a few years, one of the first things I did when I got back was look up the Survivor Writer's list. I re-joined, but found that the list was basically non-active. So, disappointed, I struggled on without it. Then, while checking out Candy Haven's website, I discovered her online Write_Workshop class and joined. What I like about Candy's challenge is, she's a no nonsense kind a girl. She tells you right off the bat in her first day post of rules that she doesn't put up with any whining or excuses. She works full time, 50-60 hours a week, has a husband and two teenage sons, and still finds time to write, so you should, too.
And that's what I like and exactly what I need. A no-nonsense coach, one who will push you, no excuses accepted.
This is the first FAST DRAFT challenge that's been offered since I signed on to the list so, we'll see how it goes. I haven't added it to my Joe's Goals chart yet, but I plan to.
Wish me luck!
You can follow the link to Candy Haven's Website above, or click here to visit Candy's blog. That's where I found the link to her Writer-Workshop list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A free online class is pretty cool! Are you planning Nano this year? (www.nanowrimo.org)

judithkaye @ shelfari.com

Carol Burge said...

Hi Judy - thanks for leaving the comment and the Nano link!

You know, I've heard so much about Nano, but I've never partcipated.

How about you?

Anonymous said...

Last year was my first time...lol! Didn't make the 50,000 mark, but had a blast.

This year, I'm ready! I've bought the book and plan on reading it the week prior to starting. (Was told that makes a difference.)

Carol Burge said...

I wish you the best of luck with Nano, Judy.

I'm going to check it out and more than likely, I'll do it, too.

Happy Writing!

~Carol